Sunday, July 12, 2009

Shepherd or Sheep Dog?

During the fourth week of Easter, while at seminary, I found myself paying particular attention to the Mass readings that week. The readings were from the tenth Chapter of the fourth Gospel (John). In this particular image Jesus uses the images of a gate, a gatekeeper, a shepherd, and his sheep to describe his own relationship with the people. In the beginning Jesus says that he himself is the gate and that to gain access to the sheep one must enter through him.

As Jesus uses this imagery to talk about his relationship to his flock he says this about a shepherd, “When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice. But they will not follow a stranger; they will run away from him, because they do not recognize the voice of strangers." (Jn 10:4-5).

I began to think about this verse in terms of discerning my vocation to become a priest. It is pretty clear that a priest is called to live his life as an image of Christ for his people. It is also clear that a bishop is the shepherd for his local flock (diocese). While celebrating the liturgy a bishop will carry what is called a “crozier.” The crozier looks like a long walking stick with a hook at the top of it. The hook is more decorative than functional but there is a great deal of symbolism built into its use. For example, if you watch a bishop preside at liturgy you will notice that when he is holding the crozier he holds it with the hook extending outward or away from him and towards the people. As the shepherd he is responsible for gently pulling the sheep back into the fold when they begin to wander. When anyone else (i.e. seminarian serving with the bishop) holds the crozier it is turned so that the hook faces inward and not toward the people.

The priest, being the local representative of the bishop to his smaller flock (the parish) must then take on the role of the shepherd. It is for this reason that we call him a “pastor” which is Latin for “shepherd.” As it says in the gospel, the priest is to walk out in front of his flock and use his voice to lead the people. It is the priest’s voice that will be used to teach, to preach, to say words that save (“I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit”), the words that absolve (“I absolve you of your sins in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit”), the words that make Jesus present in the Eucharist (“take this all of you….), and the words that console (“Eternal rest grant unto him oh Lord….”). At times it is even necessary that when the sheep stray, the shepherd must use his voice to bring them back into the fold.

I bring this up because as I read the tenth chapter of John I realize that many times in my life I tend to be more of a sheep dog than a shepherd. I tend to bark at people and bite at their ankles (figuratively not literally…work with me here) when I see them straying from the fold. I find this to be especially true when I work with teens. Instead of walking out in front of the flock and leading with my voice, I run around the edges and run after the one or two that stray away. I do all I can to convince them to rejoin the flock. I try to convince them that I know what is best for them and that they should follow the Good Shepherd. Sometimes, the sheep dog method is quite effective and I think, at times, it is even necessary. However, there are other times when I realize that the sheep dog, while effective at keeping the flock together (through a sort of intimidation or convincing), the flock fails to move forward. It is the shepherd who moves his flock because he knows the way and he walks out in front. The sheep follow him because they know his voice and they know that they will lay down their lives for their sheep.

As I prayed about this chapter of the gospel I realized that I did not need to wait until my ordination (God willing) to use my voice like that of the shepherd. I quickly realized that there were times where my words were harsh, short, sarcastic, condescending, and lacking patience. It did not matter what my intentions were in regards to correcting another’s behavior, because I did not say it with charity they rightfully failed to follow my voice. I also reflected on the many times where my voice not only did not bring people back to the flock, it led them in the opposite direction. As I realized the effects that our voices can have on others I prayed that God would help me to choose my words carefully so as to never lead anyone astray.

Verses 14 and 15 also gave me food for thought, “I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep.” Not only as a pastor one day (Si Dios Quiere – If God Wills), but now as a son, a friend, and a brother, I want the people around me to know me. I want to be transparent. I want to be a man who believes what he reads (the Gospel), teaches what he believes, and practices what he teaches. I want my flock (friends, family, and brother seminarians) to know that I would lay down my life for them. I don’t meant this in the sense of how I used to be willing to lay down my life (as a police officer) but in the sense that I will make the appropriate sacrifices to help people find, meet, and follow Christ the Good Shepherd.

It is not always an easy thing to do but I do thing that it is what God intends for my life. In fact, I think God is calling all of us to be shepherds rather than sheep dogs. Whether you are a husband, father, wife, mother, brother, or sister, I believe that God is calling all of us to live our lives in such a way that we walk out in front of the flock. I believe that each of us must use our voice in a way that the people around us will follow us instead of run in the opposite directions. I understand the temptation (especially for parents) to be a sheepdog more often than a shepherd but that is certainly not the image Jesus chose to give us. Of course, we cannot all be shepherds all of the time. We must also be willing to be the sheep and be led.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts once again. Some of you may think I am wrong or over analyzing. Perhaps you are right. However, it less important to me that you think I am right as it is to get you to think about how the Gospel applies to our lives here and now.

Pax Tecum,
Tom

No comments: