Monday, June 4, 2007

St. Paul Says It Better

In my previous posts I have made an attempt at articulating my philosophy on how the difficult times in our lives are what builds our character and draws us closer to God. The times in our lives that we think God can’t possibly be present, are the very moments where He draws us in with a tight and loving embrace. Therefore, these moments are not to be avoided or looked upon with fear or sadness. Instead, we must find in them the opportunity to allow God to hurt along with us and to show us His love for us.

I will admit that I am fairly ignorant of some parts of sacred scripture. As I continue to read, I find words that convey my thoughts and feelings much better than I could ever articulate them. The following is the second reading from the Solemnity of the Holy Trinity. I quote the reading here word for word as I feel that St. Paul, by the grace of the holy spirit, has said it best:

Rom 5: 1-5

“ Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access [by faith] to this grace in which we stand, and boast in hope of the glory of God. Not only that, but we even boast of our own afflictions, knowing that affliction produces endurance, and endurance, proven character, and proven character, hope, and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out into our hearts through the holy spirit that has been given to us.”

The gospel reading then goes on to say:

Jn 16:12

“ I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now…”

To me, this single verse, says so much about God’s relationship with each and every one of us. First, God knows all, he is omniscient and omnipotent. That is not a difficult thing to swallow. All of us who believe have come to know that simple fact. The part that I think we overlook is that God knows each and every one of us inside and out. God knows our every thought and emotion. God knows the difference between what we need, what we think we need, and what we want. God is equally present at all times to all of His children and like a good Father, God knows how to provide for us.

God does not give us anything in our lives that we cannot handle. The key to making it through those difficult and stressful times is to allow God to help us along the way. It seems like such a simple concept but we are a proud people. We often refuse the help of others and believe that we gain some sort of power in our independence and our ability to be a “self-made man.” When some people realize that no matter how hard they try, they cannot overcome their difficulties without help, they self-destruct. For some, they give up trying to survive at all.

When times are tough and are the most difficult for us. We must remember that God is there with us during those times. He will not give us anything that we cannot bear with Him, however, if we try to bear the weight of the cross alone, the weight of it all may just crush us altogether.

Pax Tecum,

Tom

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I remembered my username and password. You've officially been added to my links now!

Unknown said...

beautifully put...