Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What an awesome week!

My internet access has been somehwat limited since I arrived at my summer assignment. The first problem was a hardware issue, namely, my laptop was stolen. Once I recieved a new laptop I was able to connect to the internet in the rectory. However, in an attempt to install a wireless router and set up a wireless network, the two other seminarians that I live with and I managed to break the whole thing. So, now I am am waiting on someone much more capable than I to clean up the mess we made and hopefully get the internet working again soon. In the meantime, I am working in the church office which I only have access to during the day since I do not have a key.

Anyway, that is enough whining for a while. I am only bemoaning the lack of internet because I wanted to share with you a few of my experiences the past week or so. On Saturday, our diocese celebrated the ordination of five men to the priesthood. I had the privilege to serve at the Mass. Two years ago I came to the ordinations and sat in the pews and watched from that perspective. Last year I sat in the section for seminarians and had a little better view of what was going on. My perspective was definitely different as I sat there and wondered if the day would come when my nose would hit the marble (the newly ordained prostrate during the Litany of the Saints). By sitting in the section for seminarians I could clearly see the face of the bishop and the other priests as they prayed over the newly ordained and laid hands on them.

This year, I was able to see the ordinations from a new perspective. Having completed a year of seminary I understood more the joys, trials, challenges, blessings, etc that come along with being in seminary. I was able to serve the Mass and view the ceremony where I could see the faces of the newly ordained as the bishop was speaking to them, praying over them, laying hands on them, and annointing there hands. The expression on the new priests face was priceless. At one point the bishop made reference to the fact that six years ago the newly ordained were sitting in a pew wondering if God might be calling them to the priesthood. At that point, one of the newly ordained who I had been talking to prior to the Mass looked at me and winked as I too sat there six years from ordination wondering what plans God had in store. Overall, it was a wonderful day and it gave me great hope, not only for my own life and possible vocation to the priesthood, but also for the future of the church in central Texas.

The next day we celebrated Confirmation with seventeen kids from our parish. It is always a joy and blessing to celebrate this sacrament with our teens and it is always a good day when I get to serve a Mass with the bishop. His homily was great and touched many people in the church. The parish was having a small festival the rest of the day so I joined in on the fun.

On Monday I attended a reception for our Vocations Director and our Vicar General who are both moving on to new assignments. Both of these men have played an important role in my life not only in terms of discernment but in giving me Fatherly advice and being a friend to me. Our Diocese is truly blessed to have them and they are a model for the type of priest I hope to be.

Yesterday was my day off and I decided to spend it by myself. Spending time alone is not something that I often do as I am more accustomed to visiting people and running from one thing to another or talking with someone on the phone. I slept in (almost 9am) and then went for a walk up and down the shores of Lake Austin. I left the phone at home and just enjoyed the quiet. I did not have an Ipod in my ears and it would have been quiet had it not been for the many people who had the same idea as me. It was still a pleasant walk and I think I will do it more often. I spent the rest of the afternoon browsing at bookstores before returning home.

When I arrived back at the rectory I got a call from the office letting me know that I had a package. When I opened the box I was more than pleased to discover that my Summertime Roman cassock had arrived. This cassock is made of lighter material and it will definitely keep me cooler while serving at Mass and other events. The one I had previously (year rounder), while made of heavier material and more formal, is extremely hot in a church where the air conditioning works just enough to keep me from passing out. When I ordered the cassock I was told that it was on back order for 3-5 weeks. I was overjoyed when it arrived in less than 2.

We have a busy weekend ahead: three funerals, an ordination anniversary mass, a wedding, and five weekend masses (for any priests that are reading this, I am not pleading for sympathy as I know this may be considered a light weekend by your standards. Hopefully I am shedding light for others who may not realize how hard you work). Overall, though I am really enjoying being back in a parish and am at peace in my new assignment. I am sure that it will be over before I know it.

In the meantime, please continue to pray for me as I continue to pray for you and your family.

Pax Tecum,
Tom

No comments: