Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Out of the Desert...

This past Saturday, I did something that I rarely ever do. I took a day to myself. I woke up late (around 9:30) after being out late the night before and went to get breakfast by myself. The night before I went to a Barnes and Noble in Southlake, TX and picked up a few books. On this particular trip I picked up Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather. Now I have read this book in high school and probably still have a copy of it somewhere, but I felt the desire to read it again. I remembered that the imagery in the book and the descriptions of the landscapes were wonderful. I figured it would be a good way to escape for a bit and really dive into a book. So, at breakfast, I sat and drank my coffee and leisurely read my book. I wasn’t in a hurry to do anything in particular.

After breakfast I went to the movie theater and bought tickets for Slumdog Millionaire. I did not have a particular desire to see the movie but heard it was good and did not like the looks of the other movies that were showing. I talked to my nephew, brother-in-law, and sister before going into the movie. A few other friends sent me a text here and there. That was when I decided that if this was really going to be a day to myself I needed to ignore the phone. I made it through most of the movie and enjoyed the story. I thought the movie was predictable but it was entertaining all the same. Unfortunately due to the amount of coffee I drank at breakfast and the large diet coke I treated myself to, I had to run out right after the main character answers the last question on the game show. By the time I returned, the movie was over and the credits were rolling. At first, I was disappointed because I did not find out if the guy got the girl in the end. Then I realized that I did not care. In my mind, the guy ended up with the girl…the love of his life. Who would of thought that I was a romantic huh? I walked out of the movie smiling and was happy with my decision to put the two together (I have since learned the actual ending of the movie).

After the movie I headed over to Holy Family of Nazareth in Irving, TX. A friend of mine is the Director of Youth Ministry there but I knew he was out of town. I sat in the chapel for about two hours praying and reading Death Comes for the Archbishop. It was a fruitful time of prayer and for me. I could not have thought of a better way for me to spend my Saturday afternoon. I was alone with God (i.e. the love of my life). I know it is a little cheesy to hear me say that, but I have come to realize the truth in that statement.

Towards the end of my prayer time, an older (he was not the pastor and I presume he was a retired priest) came in and sat down. He walked with a cane and had some difficulty getting up and down in the chair. As he sat down, he pulled out his rosary and began to pray. I decided that I would pull mine out as well and pray along with him in silence. After about twenty minutes, and with considerable effort, he got up and went to the confessional to hear confessions. I had already planned on going to confession and so I was happy to know that he would be hearing my confession. As I looked at that priest, I realized that I know nothing about him. I don’t know what assignments he has had or how long he has been ordained. I don’t know all the ups and downs of his life, but what I do know is that after many years, he takes the time and considerable effort to spend time with God before doing the work that God has asked him to do. I admired his dedication and his commitment. He was doing what God asked him to do as best as he could do it.

I went to Mass after confession and was happy to be in a parish again. I miss my parish family and I miss going to Mass with families. We have really good liturgy and good music at the seminary but it is always a joy to be at Mass in a parish. After Mass, I went to dinner with some friends and had a great night.

Now I will get to the point of the blog. I apologize for the length but thank you for your patience (for the two of you that read this). As I was reading Death Comes for the Archbishop I was thinking about the stories surrounding the main character, Fr. Latour. Fr. Latour is a French priest who came to America and was made the Bishop of New Mexico just after it became a part of the United States. Bishop Latour’s responsibilities often required him to travel alone on horseback through the rough terrain and desert areas of the New Mexico territory. On one particular trip, Bishop Latour had been without water for some time. His horses were literally dying of thirst beneath him. After everything he had been through and after being obedient to God and doing what God asked him to do, he risked dying for lack of water. Such a death seemed unlikely in a land full of thieves, violent Indians, and other threats to life. Just as the Bishop thought he could not go any further, his horses perked up and began to walk quickly. The Bishop guessed correctly that the horses smelled water.

There in the middle of nowhere lied an oasis. The Bishop found a small town centered around a source of fresh water. In fact, the town was called Hidden Water. The people of the town were so excited to see a priest that they almost did not believe that Bishop Latour was a priest. Bishop Latour spent the next few days witnessing marriages and baptizing children.

This story stuck out to me for several reasons. All of us, as we enter into Lent can relate to the imagery of the desert. We recount the story of the Israelites who were led around the desert for years until they were willing to yield to the will of God and follow his lead. We all know the stories of the desert Fathers who went off to pray, face their temptations, do penance, and more. We know that Jesus Himself went off to distant places to pray. The desert, for many of us, is a time of struggle. It is a time to be stripped of many of the comforts and distractions in life so that we can become more attuned to the voice of God and His will for our lives. While the desert is not always a pleasant place to be, it can be fruitful. The Israelites were eventually delivered to the promise land. Jesus returned from the desert having encountered Satan and remained obedient and faithful to the Father. Prior to that John the Baptist came out of the desert with the message to “Prepare the Way.” Good things come out of the desert.

Like the story in the book, though, God will often provide little oases and sources of life. Now please know that I am not reflecting on my own spiritual condition as it stands now, but I have been in the desert before. Each time that I have been there, I am amazed by the gifts that God has given me. It is only now that I am able to recognize them and even appreciate them. Often times they are something as simple as a kind word from a friend, a card in the mail, a new friendship, or an unmistakable sign of God’s love for me. Like the Hidden Water, they are the source of life that I need to continue my journey. They are the source of strength that I need to continue to do what I believe God asks me to do each day (especially in the little things). They are the source of faith that I need to withstand the blinding sandstorms that not only cause me to lose sight of my path but also can wear me down like a rock in a tumbler. When these hidden sources come, it is good to stop, take some time, do the things that God has created you to do, and then prepare to continue the journey until, one day, at last, we arrive home.

I wish you all a time of spiritual renewal and peace during this Lenten season. Please be assured of my prayers and please continue to pray for me and more importantly my seminarian brothers. I have a busy week and a half to go with three midterms and other tasks but in just ten short days I know that I will be home.

Pax Tecum,
Tom

No comments: